Is Ring Doorbell Waterproof?
If you live in a rainy area, the first question you may ask before buying a doorbell from a popular doorbell brand, such as Ring, could be, is Ring doorbell waterproof?
Yes, it is, and installing it can make living your routine life simpler and smarter.
Everything, from high-tech laptops to doorbells, now comes with something extra to enhance user experience.
Everyday lifestyles are now turning into smart lifestyles due to the convenience added by technology.
In the modern world, manufacturers have an urge to innovate in order to survive the competition.
This innovation mindset has benefited consumers immensely as the products are improved with each new model.
Doorbells are undeniably one of the most essential household items.
A doorbell is a small but important part of our day-to-day lives.
Purchasing doorbells can get technical but, asking yourself the following questions can help you find the ideal doorbell for your house.
What Are Doorbells Made Of?
When it comes to doorbells, there is surprisingly a variety of materials to choose from.
You can find one made from ceramic, nickel, brass, copper, bronze, chrome, wood, and even glass.
In the case of Ring doorbells, the surface is made of nickel for better protection, but the rest of the body is made of high-quality plastic that makes it lightweight.
Doorbells come with a wide variety of chimes to choose from.
The latest models allow you to select from as much as 50 chimes.
However, a simple “ding-dong” chime, that’s sober and not annoying, is a better choice for shared apartments and offices.
Wired vs. Wireless Doorbells
Wired doorbells can cause trouble because they have to be attached to the main electrical system of your home.
If they stop functioning as they should, you will have to get into the tedious wiring mazes.
Wireless doorbells, on the other hand, are simple to install.
This is because they have their own independent system. A doorbell at your gate and a small ringer box inside the house is all that needs to be taken care of.
A good wireless doorbell has a range of around 500 feet, and you can always move it around easily.
Fortunately, Ring Doorbells are wireless, as it comes with a rechargeable battery pack.
It’s obvious now that a wired doorbell without a waterproof system can be very troublesome.
And to have that combo with an unsheltered doorbell area is obviously not a good idea.
Owned by one of the tech and e-commerce giants, Amazon, Ring is one of the most popular brands out there when it comes to smart wireless modern doorbells.
Even though they are a home security company offering a wide range of home security products, their doorbells are their most popular product, especially the model that comes with a video feature.
Is Ring Doorbell Waterproof?
If you live in an area dear to the rain clouds, this is the first thing you might want to look for.
When it rains, your doorbell’s circuit can easily get soaked into water.
This especially happens when there’s no porch roof or shelter.
Even if your doorbell area is covered, it is a safe option to go for a waterproof doorbell.
The doorbell circuit can get drenched into the water by instances other than rain, for example, when watering plants.
So is Ring doorbell waterproof? The answer is yes, but that doesn’t mean you can submerge it into the water.
However, it can work under the rain, as well as under freezing temperatures.
So if you live in a rainy or an area where snow melts in spring, a Ring doorbell can work just fine.
Why Is the Waterproof Feature Important in a Doorbell?
For any homeowner, a doorbell is a seemingly small but essential purchase.
Out of all the factors to look for in a doorbell, two are most important to us: being waterproof and being wireless.
Since this post is specifically about waterproof doorbells, here are six reasons you should go for a waterproof doorbell:
- Safety. If the doorbell is not waterproof, it can cause electric currents to flow through the water around it. For instance, while watering plants, the water can easily make its way to the doorbell circuit. In this case, the doorbell can keep ringing until forcefully stopped. Touching a wet doorbell can be very dangerous too.
- Price. The waterproof feature in the doorbell is fairly affordable. In fact, most simple versions of waterproof doorbells are cheaper than non-waterproof fancy ones. Compare buying a good quality waterproof doorbell for once to buying a new non-waterproof doorbell every other month. A waterproof doorbell definitely saves money because of its durability. The doorbell circuit’s life improves as it stays safe from water damage, and hence, the purchase cycle is lengthened.
- There’s Less Hassle to Tackle. Undoing the doorbell’s screws every time it rains can be frustrating. One has to look at the door chime unit, the transformer, and the push button carefully to see what went wrong. Thanks to waterproof doorbells, you don’t have to spend your time and effort operating a doorbell anymore. Getting a waterproof doorbell can save you from the constant fatigue of fixing your doorbell, allowing you to save time for things that matter.
- Easy Installation. A waterproof doorbell is similar to a normal one, and so is its installation. However, wireless waterproof sets are easier to install than wired ones. There are a number of YouTube videos demonstrating the installation of some of the most commonly sold waterproof doorbells. Other than that, most companies offer user manuals for correct installation and usage of their product.
- Gives a Smart Feel to Your Home. Most of the latest waterproof doorbell models come with a wireless system. It gives your day-to-day life a smart feel as you don’t have to look after heavy wiring anymore. The doorbell system is just two small components connected wirelessly. The waterproof feature enhances the experience through added convenience and durability.
- Compact Design. Waterproof doorbells look as sleek and smart as normal ones. Their compact design can make them fit even in smaller places. Most of the models that we have seen online have just the right modern look for any home entrance.
All in all, getting a waterproof doorbell is as important as carrying an umbrella on a rainy day.
Just as the umbrella saves you from fever, the waterproof material keeps the doorbell from malfunctioning.
What’s even more rewarding is that there is no additional installation hassle or extra bucks required to make this smart choice.
A waterproof doorbell can provide extra security and improved durability, which makes it a necessary upgrade to your home.